Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sichuan...

As we all awared that the deadly earthquake attached China on Monday, resulting nearly 14000 dead so far...

Sichuan, is a place, I shall say means a lot to my parents. They left Shanghai in early twenties to work in Sichuan as the government called out to them, they served over 20 years there to contribute in the development for southwest of China. They married in Sichuan, I was born there. I was sent back to my grandma when I was 3 years old for better living environment in Shanghai. My parents left in 1992. My father went back two years ago to settle everything and drew an end in Sichuan.

I frankly do not know that much about the place, but I have a close friend who still lives there. I have been calling her for 2 days now, but... no answer. The communication is still down... She lives in Jiangyou while her husband works in Mianyang, where is very close to Wenchuan, and the two county in Mianyang, the death roll draws nearly 8000, I hope she is fine, last December 15th, she just gave birth to her first boy! Let's pray... The last time I met her was in 1995, before I left to Brunei. We were best friends in high school, we stayed in the same boarding house: we used to eat together, study together, kind of do everything together. We talked on the phone in December when I was in Shanghai, we even planned a gathering next year... I hope, we will meet soon.

2 comments:

Ruey said...

Oh Emily, I do hope your friend is ok as well. I'll remember her in my prayers. It's such a sad thing that has happened lately in Burma and China, always a reminder to us....to never take life for granted, to live each day as if it was our last, to love deeply-madly-passionately, to set a good example always and to always say what our mind and heart says. Take care Emily!

Pandachu said...

I hope ur friend and her family are OK Emily. The only thing we can do here is pray for them and keep them alive in our hearts. I'm glad ur family is safe :)